The picturesque town of Angra do Heroísmo, the jewel of Terceira Island in the Azores, is a destination that captivates visitors with its natural beauty and rich history. This UNESCO World Heritage-listed city boasts an enchanting blend of traditional architecture, stunning scenery and vibrant local culture that creates an unforgettable travel experience. In this article, we are going to explore some of the best things that Angra do Heroísmo has to offer.
1. Historic Center: The historic center of Angra is a labyrinth of narrow and colorful streets, lined with beautiful buildings dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. At every corner, you will find a square or a viewpoint with panoramic views of the ocean and the lush vegetation of the Azores.
2. Angra do Heroísmo Cathedral: This impressive 16th-century cathedral is one of the oldest in Portugal. Its interior, decorated with gilded carvings and sacred paintings, is a testament to the rich history of the city.
3. Monte Brasil: This ancient volcano offers hiking trails and stunning views of the city and ocean. At the top is the Fortress of São João Baptista, one of the largest fortifications in Portugal.
4. Museums: Angra do Heroísmo is home to a variety of museums, including the Museu de Angra do Heroísmo, with its vast collection of artefacts that portray the history of the city and the island, and the Museu de Vinho dos Biscoitos, which offers an insight of the traditional Azorean wine production.
5. Gastronomy: The city is famous for its delicious cuisine. Try traditional dishes such as Alcatra, a typical Azorean meat stew, accompanied by a glass of Verdelho wine.
6. Festivities: Angra do Heroísmo is known for its vibrant parties and celebrations, such as the Sanjoaninas in June, which fill the streets of the city with color and joy.
Angra do Heroísmo is a place where history, culture and nature meet, offering visitors an authentic and rich experience. No matter what you are looking for in a trip, Angra do Heroísmo has something to offer everyone.